Friday, May 29, 2009

How Do You Keep Yourself?

This is a question I've thought about, somewhere between, "How am I supposed to get a whole baby out of me?" "How will I know how to take care of my baby?" "How are we going to afford this?" and "If my child is a girl, will she really hate me when she's a teenager?"

Huge changes are coming, and almost all of them are very exciting. I'm so happy that I'm on this journey and I want this so much. However, sometimes my mind wanders back to the essay I wrote six years ago when I was "absolutely certain" that I didn't want to have children and I wonder how I will still manage to have time for myself and pursue my own dreams and interests. I know I'll be super excited about and super proud of my little munchkin, but I don't want to be the woman who only talks about her child and his or her accomplishments. I want to remain interesting. 

If you're a mom, how do you it? How do you be everything - a mom, a wife, and yourself? 

2 comments:

  1. That's something that I'm actually scared of myself. When my collegues at work had their kids, all they could (and can) talk about is how "Samuel banged his head" at the weekend, etc. I am, frankly, terrified. I guess we have to just keep reading books and seeing films and getting sitters when we can?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely going to do my best. I'm also worried that my creative energy will be non-existent...oh, who am I kidding...I'm worried that ALL of my energy will be non-existent. ;) Another concern is how my relationship with my husband will change. I want us to make sure that we carve out couple time and time to spend with our friends. It's just going to be difficult to do since we don't have family around to help out with childcare (besides my cousin who is not a fan of kids when they're infants). Sitters can get expensive.

    ReplyDelete